Tuesday, December 31, 2019

End of Year Blog Update for 2019

Happy New Year!

Before I get to the blog update, I hope everyone had a great Christmas! I can't believe it's already New Year's Eve! 2019 certainly came and went quickly. Having said that, i hope you had a great year and I wish everyone a Happy New Year!

Once again, 2019 proved to be another good year for my favorite record label, Cinema-kan. The label released sixteen albums this year, some were wonderful surprises such as the premiere releases of Lady with Seven Faces Original Soundtrack (CINK-59) and Legend of Dinosaurs · Monster Birds Original Soundtrack (CINK-76), while others were much welcomed reissues like Bewitched Loved of Madame White Original Soundtrack (CINK-93-94). Some other welcomed reissues were Mysterious Star Gorath Original Soundtrack (CINK-72-73) and Great Prophecies of Nostradamus Original Soundtrack (CINK-74-75). I was lucky enough to grab seven of Cinema-kan's sixteen 2019 releases, and my top three are:

1. Bewitched Loved of Madame White Original Soundtrack (CINK-93-94)
2. Prince of the Sun: Horus' Great Adventure Original Soundtrack (CINK-88-89)
3. Lady with Seven Faces Original Soundtrack (CINK-59)

Unfortunately, out of the scores I was hoping Cinema-kan would release/reissue in 2019, only Bewitched Loved of Madame White Original Soundtrack (CINK-93-94) ended up actually happening. However, I was absolutely thrilled it ended up being reissued. Hopefully, some of the scores I was hoping to be released (which I listed in the blog update at the beginning of the year) will end up happening in 2020. Although I do know that a definitive release of Akira Ifukube's music from the Sakuma Dam Trilogy (1954 - 1957) won't happen since the tapes are missing (they were partially missing for years to begin with).

I did manage to grab a 2019 release from Three Shells, Toru Fuyuki - World of Picture Music Series Vol. 1: "Mandara" Music Collection (3SCD-0042). This one came as a total surprise to me, and I absolutely had to have it. I'm so glad I picked it up.

I also picked up a number of past releases, mainly from Cinema-kan and VAP. For Cinema-kan, I was finally able to grab Battles Without Honor and Humanity Original Soundtracks (CINK-53-54-55), among others. As for VAP, I was able to obtain all four volumes in the Akira Ifukube Stage Music Complete Works series and four out of six volumes from the Unreleased Film Music Complete Works Series (I used to have most in this series long ago, and I'm merely replacing them). I hope to finish obtaining/replacing them in 2020. I also picked up a release from Shochiku Records, Anokoro Film Soundtrack Series: Vessel of Sand Film Original Music Collection (SOST-3014), a wonderful score composed by Mitsuaki Kanno.

As for what's to come for 2020, I'm certainly looking forward to what Cinema-kan will be releasing/reissuing (the label is already planning on reissuing Toshiaki Tsushima's score to "The War in Space", though it's been postponed), as well as obtaining more past releases from various labels. Who knows what will end up happening, and that excites me.

Anyway, it's time for the blog update!


Blog Update (12/31/19)

Honestly, there isn't much to write home about. I made some cosmetic changes to the blog throughout the year, which probably aren't noticeable. In fact, I pretty much only made minor changes that are pretty much unnoticeable not worth detailing.. The biggest thing I did was deleting posts of albums I no longer have (except for one) and had no plan on replacing any time soon. I will create new posts of those albums when/if I end up replacing them.

I have some other ideas for some changes in the future. I won't go into any details just yet since I haven't decided to implement these changes or not. Of course, I will provide updates for any future changes.

Thank You!

Lastly, I would like to thank everyone who visited my blog throughout 2019! I enjoy putting information of the albums from my soundtrack collecting exploits, and will continue to do so as long as interest continues. I also want to thank my friends for their continued support for my blog. Their support is invaluable and always greatly appreciated.

Thanks again everyone and I hope you'll have a great 2020! See you all then!